The Director of Property Management is responsible for onsite operations and fiscal, physical and regulatory compliance for all VCH properties. VCH’s portfolio consists of 20 properties comprising 139 units of affordable housing, 113 units of supportive housing and 28 units of interim housing, administrative and program space, and commercial units. The Director will lead a diverse team including a Property Management Supervisor, seven Property Managers, a Senior Compliance Manager, and four Maintenance Workers. This team will be growing substantially in the next three to five years, creating opportunities for advancement. The Director and the team will also work collaboratively with VCH’s Resident Services team to implement an integrated supportive housing model and with the Finance team to ensure strong asset management. The Director of Property Management is a member of the senior management team and reports to the Executive Director.
- Oversees all property management functions and staff for all of VCH’s affordable, supportive and interim housing as well as commercial leases, from a tenant-centered and staff-supporting perspective.
- Oversees annual inspections on all affordable housing units and properties; problem-solves property and portfolio level issues through research, analysis, and implementation.
- Works with the Director of Operations to ensure that all Risk Management obligations are covered.
- Ensures that properties are prepared for and compliant with inspections from SCEP, HACLA, LA County Health Department and our many funding partners.
- Implements and updates property management plans and other documents as needed.
- Ensures that all properties are managed, leased and operated in compliance with all regulatory requirements, including waitlist management.
- In collaboration with the Asset Manager, ensures accurate, thorough and timely reporting to and promotes and maintains positive relations with the California Tax Credit Allocation Committee (TCAC), the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Internal Revenue Service, and other funders, regulators, investors and partners.
- Works collaboratively with Resident Services team to implement a Housing First, Trauma Informed model, and ensures eviction is the last possible resort.
- Determines and documents policies and procedures for the Property Management Department, reflecting best practices in affordable and supportive housing and preparation for organizational and team growth.
- Ensure that all maintenance repairs, unit turnovers, and preventive maintenance plans are completed in a safe and timely manner and that all property repairs are performed according to applicable building codes.
- Develops and monitors cost controls, inventory procedures and other maintenance team management tools.
- Works in collaboration with the Housing Development team to ensure that issues affecting property management are integrated into the design, development and underwriting of new development projects; and helps prepare management agreements, management plans, initial operating budgets, lease-up and marketing plans for all new projects.
- Supervises and evaluates a direct team of staff; creates and implements staff training and leadership development tools and plans for the full team; encourages external training and professional opportunities.
- Other duties as required.
The Director of Property Management will be an experienced leader with the following or equivalent experience and qualifications:
- Five years of property management experience in affordable and supportive housing, including LIHTC and HUD, including a minimum of three years experience in a management or supervisory position.
- Bachelor’s degree in management, urban planning, real estate finance, public administration, or other related field; or equivalent work and/or lived experience.
- Demonstrated ability to operate and manage a complex and dynamic property management team, including understanding and implementing best practices in the field of property and asset management.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of federal, state, and local law as it applies to tenant and landlord relations, including fair housing laws.
- Strong technical knowledge of various federal, state, and local affordable housing programs and regulatory requirements.
- Excellent writing and effective verbal communication skills, and demonstrated cultural competence.
- Exceptional leadership, organizational, and communication skills, with the ability to work as an effective member of a team and in a collaborative manner with staff, peers, and supervisors.
- Must be proficient in Outlook, Excel and Word, as well as property management software; RealPage property management software experience a plus, but not required.
- Must allow criminal and driving background checks, have valid California driver’s license and have access to reliable transportation in order to travel to off-site properties, meetings, trainings, and events.
- A mission-driven individual with an entrepreneurial and creative approach to problem-solving in the field of property management; enthusiasm and a team-building spirit.
The starting salary range for the position is $110,000 – $125,000 plus benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, Aflac, 403 (b), vacation, sick time, 14 holidays, 2 personal days, and modified work week schedule available for one Monday or Friday off every four weeks. This is a full-time, exempt position. Some hybrid/work-from-home available.
Job frequently requires sitting for extended periods of time entering data into a computer and handling objects with hands. Job occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing stairs, reaching, talking, hearing, and lifting up to 25 pounds. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
All applicants are encouraged to apply through Betterteam.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Venice Community Housing (VCH) is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you need an accommodation due to a disability, contact us at [email protected].